Sunday, October 18, 2015

BCA Frontliner Program: "The Prestige Problem"

I have been joining the company for a fortnight by the time this post is written. In this second week, I have received lots of lessons about the bank, the products, and the correct attitude towards work and life. In addition, I get to know a lot of my friends better.

BCA PFL CSO 14
The Girls @ class
I was lucky to be a part of this awesome team. They are all crazy, carefree, yet attentive girls who are comforting, accepting, and will take care of you no matter what. Some of them have a really big heart and brightest personalities of all people I have ever encountered!! I love you all!! 

BCA PFL CSO 14
The girls @class (after class)

However as I get to know them, I get to know not only the bright side but also the dark side. 
As we were getting closer, it is more comfortable for us to share some of our problems with each other. 

Mask comes in all shapes and sizes!

Everyone wears a mask to protect themselves from the world and I think it is wise to do so; No one survive without the mask on, anyway. I don't blame anyone and I don't judge. I, myself wear a mask.

The problem is, they wear theirs so perfectly well that I thought it is them in their own skin!! I was wrong tho, they have they own insecurities and problems but they are able to smile and be carefree about it!

Anyway, the biggest and most common concern among the girls are:
Prestige.

YES!! It is prestige!! and I admit, I have had that concern before.

Well, first what is prestige? 


I think this quote describe "PRESTIGE" quite well




and beware, it can "blind" you!

To sums up, the prestige here is the Social Status which includes: Power, Money, Ego, and Pride.

FYI, in Indonesia, the Bank Frontliner job as "Customer Service Officer" or "Teller" is not a prestigious job that  people want. The pay is not too high and the financial risk is high. 
in short,

NOT DESIRABLE!

Honestly, we, PFL are not stupid at all. Some come from a good university majoring in Food Tech, some from Law School, and some from IT background. We are mostly here because our personality test says that we belongs to the Operational Division!! Because we have the skills and ability to do the operational job!! NO Less!

TO Dear Other Trainees Program:
Just because it is different from your skills, or is not needed by you,
doesn't mean that it is (we are) worthless or less then you!!

I am honestly thought that they (my friends) didn't have that kind of thoughts in mind as they are so carefree and they look happy. I never know that quite a few of them didn't even tell their closest friend about their job now because they are scared of being judge harshly.

Of course, I had that thoughts as well. It is just that mine happened before I signed the contract. I think the burden is heavier on my shoulder as I am an international graduates and I have been having good jobs with good pay before. 


However, as I get into the training, I started to realized that this lowly job is actually a lot better than all my previous jobs. 
  • I really feel needed and cherished by the company
  • I know I am in a really good hand (the company really take care of their employees' welfare)
  • I know clearly what benefit I get now and what I can be in the future (career path)
  • I know clearly what I am doing (the clear job desk and what is expected from me)
  • I am happy (this is by far the most important things on the equation!!)
  • I know that the company is credible!! (this is an important point for me, due to the harsh experience that I have been through before)
  • The company gives as much or more than what we could give back (our training is very costly! We got free lunch, 2 snacks, accommodation support, in class training and outbound training with professional trainers. 


The reasons why I should not be shameful of the job:

  • There is really rare for a company to really take care of their people as good as BCA. They give us expensive training + meals + allowance + flight tickets for us to be a better person. They help us to balance our working life and personal life by a lot of programs and seminars. Do any other company able to do that??
  • It is not easy to enter the company. Many fails during the entrance exam or interview or medical check up. Those who join the company are already selected individuals! 
Did you know how many have fail? and how many stages we have to get through????
  • There is a clear career ladder to climb. There is less nepotism here as everything is transparent. If you have a skills and you can show them to your bosses, that skill will be fully utilized. Some of the ex-frontliners become a trainer that is sought after even after retirement!!
Well, my previous jobs!
  • As I mentioned before, BCA 'graduates' is highly sought after. So, even if your contract was terminated after 3 years, do not worry about employment!! Other banks know how valuable you are.
  • There is lots of bonuses! THR, THT, Performance bonuses! I do not even get that from my 2 previous jobs!
  • There is a lot of programs with the winner's prize: TRAVELLING ABROAD! *not easy tho, I know, but still*
  • There is not such thing as lowly job! I am not doing a crime or something bad. This is a legal job and I am not receiving my paycheck from those so-called-friends. If I am listening to what they say, can they give me a job??



What I have done to prove myself to others:

  • Believe in yourself. I believe that as long as there is a will, there is a way! If you do not believe in yourself, no one will. As my Head of Operational said, "Do not think about what people will tell you, about how come an international graduates be a frontliner. I started from frontliner as well." This words have actually be my pillars of strength against many many doubts  that I had along the way. Those words give me hope and confidence that: "It doesn't matter where you start, it matters where it ends"
  • Shut yourself out of negative people. Those who matters doesn't care and those who care doesn't matter! Work hard and be successful! Let success be your noise!! There is no better way to silence them than success right? 
  • Do awesome jobs! Nothing speaks louder than the good results from the works you do. 
  • Have the attitude right. It is a inner beauty that shine the brightest after all. If your supervisor can see how good you are with people, I believe they will trust you and give you more chances to prove yourself as well.


I think those who jump right up to the top lack experience and wisdom to take decision. They also lack empathy and know how about stuff. 

Anyway, I have promised myself to climb up the career leader in 3 years or less!!

Oh, and I found this really nice quote for my profession!!



No comments:

Post a Comment